Ocean Medallion Onboard Technology
Princess Cruises presents its innovative new onboard technology: the Ocean Medallion. This is a small, wearable gadget that guests will reap all kinds of benefits from.
The Ocean Medallion devices weigh only 1.8 ounces, and are about the size of a ten pence piece - making them convenient and discreet. They can either be carried in a pocket or wallet, or worn in the form of a bracelet or necklace.
How does it work?
The Ocean Medallion contains sensors which collect a range of data from guests. This data is safely stored on a digital platform known as the Ocean Compass. You can access your information stored in the Ocean Compass cloud in the following ways:
- Interactive screens found throughout the ship
- Your in-cabin or in-suite television
- The Ocean Medallion mobile app.
What are the advantages?
The technology has a plethora of uses which many guests will find helpful. Some of our favourites include:
- Simple and quick embarkation and disembarkation - by uploading your documentation ahead of time, it is possible for the medallion to register your access on and off the ship.
- Ordering food, drinks, and more to wherever you are on the ship - whether you want to pre-order drinks before a show, or need some extra sunscreen by the pool, the device makes it simple to get what you want, when you want.
- Fast entry to your statement - the Ocean Medallion acts as a key for your accommodation, replacing key cards.
- Make dining requests - you can enter information regarding allergies, wine preferences, and more before visiting the restaurants.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
When will I get my Ocean Medallion?
Princess Cruises will send your medallion to your specified address before your holiday begins. This will allow you to set up a profile, and upload your documentation before boarding the ship should you wish to.
Do I have to pay for it?
No, the medallion service is completely free. Even if you should lose the device, the original can be disabled by yourself or a member of the crew, and replaced at no extra cost.
What if someone else tries to use my Medallion?
Among the information stored for each guest is their photograph. This ensures that no one but you can use the device for purchases or room entry. Similarly, your personal information is saved on the Carnival Corporation database rather than the medallion, and so you can rest assured that your data is secure and inaccessible to anyone who may find your device.
Do you have to use it?
For those who would prefer not to use the Ocean Medallion, it is possible to change your privacy settings to ‘Safety Only’ – if you are not sure how, simply ask a member of the onboard staff to help you.
When will Ocean Medallion Class be Available?
This exciting and useful technology is scheduled to be introduced on seven ships in Princess Cruises’ fleet, the first of which will be as soon as later this year. The introduction of Ocean Medallion will occur in phases with the intention of the rollout to be ship wide. Expected introductory dates are as follows:
- Regal Princess - November 2017
- Royal Princess - January 2018
- Caribbean Princess - March 2018
- Island Princess - May 2018
- Golden Princess - October 2018
- Crown Princess - November 2018
- Ruby Princess - January 2019