To Sea or not to Sea? Cunard have announced that they are continuing their exciting three year partnership with the Royal Shakespeare Company. A partnership that launched onboard the legendary Queen Mary 2 in 2022, the carefully crafted sailings ensure that you have a getaway unlike any other.
Offering a mixture of workshops, screening and performances, five skilled and talented Royal Shakespeare actors will be sailing aboard the Queen Mary 2 on select voyages between 7th April - 9th June 2024 and 16th August - 1st November 2024.
The Royal Shakespeare Company (also known as the RSC) has long been known for their world class shows, performing classic Shakespearean plays, alongside contemporary productions. Primarily based in Stratford-upon-Avon, the prestigious British theatre company brings stories to life and produces performances that you’ll never forget. And what better way to enjoy these outstanding performances than aboard the opulent Queen Mary 2?
Royal Shakespeare Company Cunard 2024 Events
Throughout the event voyages, there will be 1-2 matinee or evening performances of a range of different shows held within the beautiful Royal Court Theatre, including:
- Boundless at the Sea - a theatrical masterpiece created for Cunard, combining a variety of scenes and speeches from some of Shakespeare’s most beloved plays.
- Miss Littlewood - a specially adapted production showcasing the popular music, lyrics and story by talented author Sam Kenyon.
Alongside the captivating performances, you can enjoy the following throughout Cunard’s Royal Shakespeare Company 2024 voyages*:
- Production Screenings - take a seat in the cinema and enjoy full length productions with a magical introduction given by the RSC cast. From As You Like It to Hamlet, it’s the perfect way to relax and enjoy some of the best Shakespearean film adaptations. And if you want to screen these in even more comfort, they are also available to stream in staterooms.
- Shakespeare Tales Talks - enriching and captivating talks, including behind the scenes insights, 30-minute informal scenes from the most beloved and well-known Shakespearean plays, screenings and more!
And that’s not all, whether you’re a theatre enthusiast or a novice to the stage, you can try your hand at performing with the immersive acting workshops. Led by the RSC cast, there will be 3 different workshops held per sailing, where you can learn all the skills required to be a star performer.
Seamlessly bringing the romance and powerful world of Shakespeare to the high seas, guests travelling aboard Queen Mary 2 will be able to take part in the following 45-minute long RSC workshops that take place in the opulent Queens Room:
- Shakespeare Language - with this immersive workshop you’ll learn how to master the language of Shakespeare through different exercises and activities. Building your confidence, by the end you’ll uncover what it takes to perform Shakespearean plays and the masterful words of the iconic playwright and poet.
- A Beginners Guide to Playwriting - fun and captivating, this workshop will take you through character creation and how to create a Shakespearean-style plot.
- Shakespeare Scene Work - with a focus on Lady Macbeth and Macbeth, this workshop will teach you the practical techniques needed to perform, and how you take the skills mastered in rehearsals to the stage.
Shakespeare Tales and Talks onboard Queen Mary 2
There are four different tales and talks offered by the Royal Shakespeare Company onboard Cunard 2024 select voyages. These include:
- Unwrapped - an in-depth behind the scenes 30 minute talk where you’ll learn how the RSC actors prepare for a performance, including which warm-up exercises they take on.
- Time - the actors will perform scenes, sonnets and more from Shakespearean plays in a thrilling 30-minute evening showcase.
- Shakespearean Quiz - held within the elegant Carinthia Lounge, this fun quiz will test your knowledge of the world of Shakespeare. A great opportunity to socialise with fellow Shakespearean enthusiasts!
- RSC Q&A - also held within the Carinthia Lounge, you’ll experience an informal Q&A with the actors, including how they started their careers, their favourite Shakespearean plays and scenes and more.
Exciting and unique experiences you can enjoy whilst sailing on one of the world’s most beloved and elegant ocean liners, you can take part in as little or as much as you like. A truly extraordinary opportunity to meet the skilled RSC cast, discover how they learnt their craft and delight in some of the most iconic Shakespearean plays (along with the famed works of Sam Kenyon), you’ll leave your Queen Mary 2 voyage with memories that last a lifetime.
Book Your Cunard 2024 Voyage with Iglu Cruise
Don’t miss out, make sure to book your Cunard voyage with Iglu Cruise today and be immersed into the wonderful and mystical world of Shakespeare. Discover our extensive range of 2024 Cunard sailings featuring the Royal Shakespeare Company and create memories that last a lifetime.
Alongside the Royal Shakespeare Company voyages, Cunard have lots of other exciting sailings offered in their 2024 event voyages programme. Read all about the other events onboard their fleet in our blog - Discover Cunard’s Exciting 2024 Event Voyages Programme.
*All of the activities offered onboard these sailings are complimentary, but as the programmed and activities may vary voyage by voyage, make sure to check out your onboard Daily Programme for more information.