Super Yachts and Billion Dollar Ships
If you're looking to show the entire world exactly how wealthy you are, a super-yacht seems to be the best way to do it. The ultimate 'boys toys' for corporate millionaires and Arab Sheikh's the world over, the super-yacht has become a status symbol for the mega-rich.
Of course, as their wealth increases, so does their sailing budget – the super-yachts of the modern age sporting some of the leading technology in the world. Here are some of the very best and the technology behind them:
The Maltese Falcon: Owned by Elena Ambrosiadou
With a maximum speed of 18 knots and a range of 3000 nautical miles, the Maltese Falcon is one of the most advanced yachts you will ever see and with its specially designed Falcon-Rig, you won't forget it in a hurry.
Designed by some of the greatest nautical engineers in the world, the Falcon-Rig is a unique rigging system which features:
- 3 self-standing, motorized rotating masts.
- 15 independent sails - that's a total sail area of over 25,000 square feet.
- Perini Navi Sail Control System
The beauty in this design is that it allows The Maltese Falcon to perform some utterly astounding moves for a ship of its size - allowing the vessel to be controlled with much more accuracy in stormy weather.
'A': Owned by Andrey Melnichenko
Named after Melnichenko's wife, Aleksandra, this yacht has a distinctive hull design that does a lot more than simply look good.
This 390ft futuristic vessel is luxuriously finished down to the finest detail - containing solid marble flooring in the bathrooms and master suite, as well as an 80ft private deck to allow the lovely Aleksandra to sunbathe with at least some privacy. But this vessel's angular hull is designed with the icy Russian waters in mind - its unique shape allowing it to literally cut through small icebergs that get in its way. Other features include:
- Top speed of 23 knots with a range of 6,500 nautical miles
- A helipad, for travel to the mainland.
- On-board swimming pool and disco.
- Six guest suites and a hidden "nookie room" concealed behind a mirrored wall.
The Adastra: Owned by Anto Marden
Revealed in 2012, the Adastra represents the cutting-edge of super-yacht technology. This state-of-the-art vessel blows its competition out of the water with its super-efficient trimaran design and incredibly futuristic, sleek aesthetics. But it's not just about the looks. Packed to the brim with some amazing new features, they include:
- A top speed of 22.5 knots and a range of 4,000 nautical miles - that's enough to get you from London to New York, with enough fuel left over for a spot of nautical sightseeing.
- A Glass/Kevlar combination hull which allows greater speeds at a much lower fuel consumption.
- Integrated Ship Monitoring System, allowing remote monitoring of the ship's vital functions.
Of course, the best is yet to come. If you love the thought of sailing but wish you could do it on your iPad, then you're going to love this. That's right, the Adastra is 100% manoeuvrable using an app on your iPad. It's said that the Adastra represents the future of super-yachts and with features like this, it's hard to argue. Incorporating cutting edge technology from across the board, they've created an ultra-modern super-yacht for the ultra-modern billionaire. Just as long as they have $15m to spare.