When exploring the Nile on a Discover Egypt cruise, you'll enjoy a luxurious selection of international and European dishes, but you'll also come across opportunities to indulge yourself with the exotic tastes of Egypt and Jordan through local Arabic dishes such as:
- Tahani - sesame seed paste, mixed with garlic, spices and some olive oil, and served with bread.
- Baba ghannough - dip made from tahini and mashed aubergines
- Falafel - a type of fried pate made from broad beans, chick peas, parsley and spices.
- Stuffed vine leaves - rice and minced meat wrapped in vine leaves
- Karkade - a local drink made from hibiscus petals which is served hot or cold and sweetened to taste.
- Fruit juices - freshly squeezed juices such as orange and mango, as well as a local sugar cane juice
- Mansaf - national dish made of lamb, rice and pine nuts
- Farooj - spit roasted chicken
- Baklawa - filo pastry with nuts and honey
Choose from a number of beverages to go with your meals, such as:
- Wine - good quality wines that vary from those in the UK
- Beer - somewhat limited but local beer is good and better than exports, which are smaller and more expensive. Imported beers such as Heineken, are available in cans in hotel bars but can be expensive.
- Coffee & Tea - choose from Turkish style coffee or a Nescafe. Many hotels now have coffee machines giving guests the option of cappuccinos, espressos, etc.
Tip: Egyptian hot beverages are usually enjoyed without milk and with loads of sugar, and tea especially is often flavoured with mint. Remember to ask for milk if you want it.