On a river cruise, you'll be introduced to a whole host of new places, from famous cities like Paris and Amsterdam, to the less visited and more in-land cities like Trier and Strasbourg. Each city and town has so many options of what to explore and experience. Avalon Choice Excursions highlight these options for you, so you can choose beforehand where to go, when and even how.
Each excursion and tour have expert local guides at hand to ensure that you are getting the most out of whatever option you choose. Take a walk through the Heart of Paris where you'll see the shops and cafes of Ile de la Cite and Ile Saint Louie, along with a visit to the famous Notre Dame. Or perhaps dive into the Roman history of Trier and its Imperial Baths.
For a clearer look into what you can experience on an Avalon Waterways river cruise, here are just a few examples of the shore excursions available.
- Cologne: Guided city walk or 'Jewish Cologne' tour
- Rudesheim: Visit Siegfried's Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum
- Wurzburg: Visit the Bishop's Residenz, home to fantastic architecture and stunning art.
- Nuremberg: Guided sightseeing tour including medieval fortifications, churches and Kaiserburg Imperial Castle, or a tour of the Nuremberg Rally Grounds.
- Vienna: Enjoy guided sightseeing of Vienna including Hofburg Palace, Vienna Opera House, Ring Boulevard and St. Stephen's Cathedral
Rhine & Rhone Revealed
- Breisach: Join an excursion to the beautiful Black Forest, home to the Black Forest ham and Black Forest Gateaux. Visit a local wood carver or visit the Museum of Vogtbauernhof.
- Viviers: See how the Christian, Roman and medieval periods have influenced this town on a guided tour.
- Avignon: Visit the Palace of the Popes or explore the city on a further city sightseeing tour. Optional excursions available to either Pont du Gard or the wine cellars of Chateauneuf-du-Pape.
- Veliko Tarnovo: Take a guided tour of this hilly fortress and visit the Tsarevets Hill, home to the Royal Fortress.
- Vidin: Visit the local fortress, Baba Vidin, and view the famous Belogradchik rock formations nearby.
- Belgrade: Visit the Kalemegdan Fortress and see sights such as St. Sava Orthodox Church and Marshal Tito's tomb